Friday, May 13, 2011

Road Trip

Here I sit, sated from a delicious meal at the Underground Kitchen in Madison, Wisconsin. They've had Bent River in their menu for the past few months, so I had to pay them a visit.

Earlier, I spent a couple of hours sampling cheese at the Willy St. Co-op. This is the first time I've ever sampled outside of Minnesota, and, here in the heart of cheese country, I felt more than slightly weird giving my spiel, which usually includes "made right here in Minnesota". Thankfully, the people of Madison were gracious and appreciative.

Tomorrow I hit the road to the Windy City to demo at the Marion Street Cheese Market in Oak Park. It's always a pleasure to meet customers face to face, and equally enjoyable to spend time with the cheese professionals who sell Alemar Cheese.

I'll post more this weekend, but a final note of thanks to Justin Nolan, my host this evening. Before I knew much of anything about cheesemaking, I enrolled in a short course class here at the University of Wisconsin. Justin was kind enough to loan me his couch for the week, and this is the first time I've been back in town. Dinner was on me, a small gesture of thanks for his generosity. He was a great dinner companion, and I hope we get the chance to do it again soon.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Hey Keith-- Great to meet you this morning in the rain at the farmer's market. Wish I would have bought a whole wheel instead of the 1/4 wheel which was mostly gone before I had a chance to share it with my husband. The ooze factor was amazing as the cheese had settled at a lovely temperature on the way home. I look forward to checking in from time to time on your blog and running into you at the market. Good to meet another cheese soul along my own cheese journey. Cheers!